Saturday, March 16, 2013

Doggy Biscotti

"Looook into my eeeeeyes.  Make me a snaaaaack."


You don't have to try to hypnotize me.  I was
getting ready to make you some Doggy Biscotti.


"It worked!"
Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
Make a well in the center.


Puree two bananas.


Mix banana puree with egg, oil, and vanilla.
Pour into the well in the dry ingredients.


"I smell heaven!"
Mix ingredients adding water by the teaspoon as needed.


"Looook into my eeeeeyes again.  Giiiiive me a taaaaaste!"
Knead into a dough.


"I guess she wasn't looking into my eyes."
Roll out dough into two logs then flatten to
1 inch thick by 6 inches wide.


"Um, how long this time?"
They have to bake the first time for 40 minutes.


"Are there any scraps I could snack on?"


I'm afraid you have to wait.


and wait...
"This stinks...well not the treats, the waiting."


and wait...


and wait...
"I'll try closing my eyes maybe when I open
them they will be done!"


and wait...
"Darn."


and wait...


and wait...


"This is getting ridiculous."


and wait...


"Finally!"
Sorry, Jenny.  They have to bake again
after I cut them into strips.


Back in the oven for 20 more minutes.
"I can't believe this."


"I'm starting to drool."


"Please be done."


"They look done to me."


"Seriously. When can I have one?"


Ten minutes later...


After they cool completely,
store in an airtight container.
"Look how cute I am waiting here so
patiently.  Please can I have another?"

Here is the full recipe:
5 cups whole wheat flour (or flour of choice)
1/4 cup chopped peanuts
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 egg
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups bananas, pureed
2 teaspoons vanilla
water

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl and make a well in the center.  Mix egg, oil, vanilla, and banana together and pour into the well.  Stir together.  Add water one teaspoon at a time as needed to make a dough.  Knead by hand on lightly floured surface until mixed thoroughly.  Form into logs and roll into a 1" thick by 6" wide shape.  Place on a lined baking sheet.  Bake 30 to 40 minutes.  Remove and cool for 10 minutes.  Slice into 1/2" slices.  Place back on baking sheet and bake for an additional 20 minutes or until golden brown.  Cool completely.  Store in an airtight container.

1 comment: